Let Your Heart Hold Fast

Let Your Heart Hold Fast

Letting Go

Amidst all the chaos in my life right now, I was pleasantly surprised by how well Christmas turned out. Knowing this was our last Christmas in this house, and all together, I wanted it to be special and end on a positive note. However, given our circumstances, I didn’t want to get my hopes up. So, when I spent most of Christmas morning with just the girls I felt incredibly grateful. It was not only enjoyable but also offered a glimpse into what next year might look like with just the three of us, not only on Christmas morning but throughout the year. I know there will come a time when they’ll meet someone and start families of their own, but until then, I’m going to savor every moment we have together.

Having our last Christmas as just us felt like a true gift. When my oldest daughter graduated nearly four years ago, I secretly hoped she wouldn’t find a significant other until after my youngest graduated four years later. I wanted her to date and enjoy herself, of course, but I also wanted our last few years together as a family to be uninterrupted. In a way, my prayer was answered, and I was in awe of how things can turn out even better than expected.

The rest of the holiday week went smoothly, and while I looked forward to the New Year, I found it difficult to take down the Christmas tree. I couldn’t bring myself to remove even the first ornament. Instead, I took photos, recorded videos, and sat in front of the tree, soaking it all in, knowing this would be the last time it stood in our home. It’s been a beacon of light during the holiday season for nearly 20 years, and we’ve cherished it. I realized I would never truly feel ready to move on, so I had to take that first step regardless of how I felt.

I finally took off the first ornament, then the second, and as I dismantled the tree and packed away the decorations, I began to feel lighter. By the time I finished, I found myself looking forward to what comes next.

For Christmas, my oldest daughter gifted me a lovely calendar adorned with small, painted pictures she had hand painted herself representing each month. As I put the past year away and flipped through the pages of the upcoming year, I felt a mix of uncertainty and anticipation. I have no idea what 2024 will bring—there will be many changes, and I’m not sure if I’m ready. Yet, I know that these changes are necessary for my life to unfold as it should, allowing me to find happiness, love, support, and purpose.

So, as I turned back to January and began filling in the calendar, I took a deep breath and thought, “Here’s to 2024… here’s to new beginnings… and here's to Letting Your Heart Hold Fast...


"This too shall pass…”






 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Twilight

Daylight

Let It Go