This Will Be Our Year
This Will Be Our Year
I have to admit, while it’s often sad to see a year come to an end, I’m genuinely happy to bid farewell to this one and welcome the next. Surprisingly, despite my meltdown back in June when I realized I’d have to endure my current situation for another year, the last six months have flown by. Now, I’m looking forward to the New Year, filled with hope that it will mark a turning point and the beginning of a new chapter in my life. In the meantime, I’m savoring the Christmas season and recently kicked it off with a trip to Disney World with my sister, my niece, and my daughter for a pre-graduation celebration. It was a blast!
Traveling with just the four of us was perfect; it was refreshing not to wrangle little kids (as adorable as they are). We enjoyed the freedom of exploring the parks at our own pace, coming and going as we pleased. We felt quite accomplished planning the trip, picking up the rental car, navigating to and from the parks each day, and making it back on the plane in one piece. This might seem trivial to many, but if you knew my sister and me and our tendency to second-guess everything, you’d understand why we were proud of our achievement.
Alongside the joy of the trip and the empowerment of organizing it ourselves, I’m immensely grateful that I was able to ride all the rides. This may sound silly, but after my car accident with a deer four years ago, which resulted in whiplash and a concussion, I wondered if I’d ever be able to enjoy amusement park rides again. I’ve always loved roller coasters, so I often thought about whether I’d ever ride Expedition Everest at Animal Kingdom again. I silently prayed for another chance, and to my absolute delight, not only did I get to ride that favorite, but I also enjoyed everything, including my new favorite, Tron! I’m literally teary-eyed just recounting this.
While there are certainly bigger concerns after a concussion, the experience of riding those attractions served as a powerful reminder that things can get better and it’s never too late to rediscover the joys that truly make you happy. It felt like a sign that life isn’t over and that more adventures await.
I truly wish I had a picture of me speeding through the universe on a Tron-inspired motorcycle—wind in my hair, inhibitions gone, and a huge smile on my face. Unfortunately, you can’t hold a phone and the handlebars of a motorcycle at the same time, so I didn’t even attempt it. The best I could manage was a photo of me enjoying a ride through “It’s a Small World,” which was equally delightful.
So, may you also find something delightful in the coming year. Here’s to letting 2024 be filled with fun, excitement, laughter, and adventure. Cheers to new beginnings… This Will Be Our Year!
"Took along time to come..."
Comments
Post a Comment